Friday 1 May 2009

Geodiscrimination


Having recently quit my job I am enjoying every moment to the fullest. I feel blessed to just google in the middle of the day whatever comes to mind. So, yesterday I was really trying hard to find out what kind of organizations for animal protection exists in Greece - a huge joke, right.
In any case, my search eventually led me to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), a US-based charity organization that has recently branched in Europe.
One of the things that PETA preaches (and I am about to try it out) is the vegetarian life style - its benefits to all parties involved: the slimmer and healthier vegetarian human, the greener planet and the alive animal.
On their home page (both US and UK) they have the free vegetarian starter kit

I downloaded and also ordered the hard copy to be mailed over.
Guess what:
I got a message (twice as I thought I was dreaming so I filled the ordering form twice) saying: We are sorry, we can not post to your location, or some BS like that.
Excuse me? I totally agree that I live in a country of barbarians when it comes to animals, but for the love of God, why can the miniscule minority of us who do care about non-human life, be discriminated against?
I really did not expect that and it absolutely raised my eyebrows. Is it a question of a business deal between PETA and the Greek post office?
Is it a question of money? why is it possible to mail to Italy and not Greece? Seriously I have no answer to that.
Yet, it occurs to me that PETA and other organizations like that are doing it all wrong. Being an animal protector in the US is fine, a cause worthy and all that. But why is it not being an animal protector - by vegetarianism in this case - in such a barbaric state such as Greece? I am not saying that there are not appauling cases in California, but they will be the exception. I am afraid animal abuse in Greece is quite common and the country needs desperately such activist groups. The darker we are on this the worst off the animals will be. You see Greek villagers for example, think it is perfectly alright for an animal to spend the entirety of his life tied up in a rope of one meter long without ever getting unleashed. And this is common practice. So PETA you'd better get your act together and not only mail the veg start kit in Greece but also set up your most powerful of branches because the abuse of animals in Greek provinces is a daily and very common occurrence and nobody does anything about it

1 comment:

George Georgitsis said...

Excellent post. Keep on pushing PETA

Pugs are the superior creatures in any planet

Don't you wish you were hot like Frankie (the Pug)???